Friday, May 4, 2012

Spring/Summer Garden 2012


This is what my garden currently looks like. Most things were planted back in January. Every January since we've lived in this house (this is our second so far), we get a heat wave. I convince myself that it's going to be a warm season and that it's okay to start planting seeds. Inevitably, the cold and rain starts back up, and it's winter as usual. This year was no exception. Luckily everything survived, even if a lot of things were slow growing during the cold season. As soon the days grew warmer and the sun came out, everything sprang up and started growing very quickly. 


I'm at the point now where I know what my family likes to eat vs. what is easy to grow: carrots, lettuce, snap peas, chard, tomatoes, spinach, leeks, and asparagus. Then we planted some new things just to see how well they would grow: pumpkins, butternut squash, and basil. Then there are the things that only I eat, usually juiced and added to the blender for my morning veggie drink: kale and beets.

This gardening thing is going so well that I'm starting to fantasize about expanding it even more. This isn't a reality right now though; it will take a small bulldozer and a few weekends of work to make that happen. But someday.





2 comments:

  1. Impressive! Our snap peas are not doing well at all - we will probably have to try and plant new ones. I am hoping that tomatoes will start growing - last year we had great crop of cherry tomatoes, but so far it's been slow growing. Keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, this is awesome! Good job!

    ReplyDelete