Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lucy at 11 Months


Lucy has become mobile in the last month! We have been waiting for months for her to figure out how to roll over, and she finally did a week after turning 10 months old. Finally rolling over also meant that she could graduate from physical therapy. A few weeks later she started crawling! She doesn't do the usual hands and knees crawl, but rather uses one foot to propel herself forward and then drags the remaining leg. She's gotten quite quick at it, and seems very happy with her new skills. One difference that I've noticed between her and my boys is that she's not nearly as into things as they were. At this level of mobility, they were opening everything they could find, tearing cabinets apart, and pulling things down on themselves. Lucy on the other hand, is content to explore the things within her limited reach and she rarely makes a mess. 


She is not very adventurous with food, but she has started eating a bit better. She eats bits of bread, banana, egg, and a few other things. She is still toothless, but has been fussy and feverish in the past week, so I think teeth are coming soon. Teething aside, she is normally super happy and content. She does let me know when has a need, which she did not do when she first came to us, so that is a wonderful thing.

She loves looking at babies and trying to talk to them in her high-pitched cooing voice. She also seems to love animals because she uses the same voice to try to talk to them when she sees them. 

I get a lot of comments on Lucy's abundantly curly hair when I am out and about with her. I get daily observations that she does not look at all like me or my other children. I used to explain that we are in the process of adopting her, but now I just deflect the comments with a chuckle and a smile, and the person rarely pushes for an explanation (though it has happened!) I realized that she's going to get older, and I can't I have a feeling this is going to be a lifelong issue.

On the subject of adoption, we are awaiting finalization sometime in the next month. I'll be very happy when that day comes!


1 comment:

  1. Lucy is beautiful. I am glad she will be with you always - for her and for you. Anna was crawling like that for a while now and also didn't get into things - maybe it's a "girl thing" :)

    ReplyDelete