Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Drawing

Tommy has been going through some exciting changes since he turned four. One recent change is that he's been drawing people - something he's never seemed to be able to do until now. The first time he drew a person was last week. He brought the paper to me and said, "Look, Mommy, I drew this guy!" The picture  had so much detail (compared to what he usually draws) that I honestly did not believe he drew it! There were other children in the house at the time, so it was possible that another child drew it. I asked the other kids and they confirmed that Tommy was the artist of this masterpiece, which he named, "Pirate". The lines coming from the pirate's face are his beard. I forgot to ask what the wing-like things coming from his middle are supposed to be.


This morning Tommy got excited about doing another drawing. He said, "Mommy, I want to draw Jesus! I need a really really really big piece of paper, because Jesus is really big." So, I rolled out a Tommy-sized piece of our butcher paper, taped it on the floor, and handed him a crayon. This is what he came up with:


According to Tommy, "Jesus is sad because he lost his people." I assume he was referring to the story of Moses and the people of Israel who were enslaved by Pharaoh, a "very bad man" in Tommy's book. But then again, who knows what goes on in that 4-year old mind. Then he drew some people and declared, "Jesus found His people!" I asked, "Why is Jesus still sad?" After some thought, he decided he was sad because he was cold, so he drew him a coat. In case you're wondering, the appendage coming from Jesus' face is his beard.

I love this age!

No comments:

Post a Comment